This post contains affiliate links.
A nature walk is the easiest way to get my kiddos interested in God’s creation. All ages enjoy it, and I don’t have to try and focus five minds on one particular topic.
Sometimes we just walk and observe, and other times we have a specific mission. The latter usually involves some type of printable scavenger hunt. Make sure to take along a bag to collect interesting finds!
Start in Your Own Yard
Your own backyard is a great place to start hunting for nature. I like to use the One Small Square: Backyard book as a tool for observing the critters hanging out there. It helps you investigate your yard one section at a time.
NaturExplorer studies by Shining Dawn Books are a great, and inexpensive, way to dig a little deeper into your nature study. These info-packed nature unit studies include experiments, project ideas, writing prompts, and notebooking pages.
Nature Walk Ideas
- 100 Things to Do Before, During, or After a Nature Walk
- Nature Hunt for Colors
- Wildflower Walk – tip for preserving flowers until you get home
- The Dice Walk
- 50 Ways to Explore Nature in Your Own Backyard
- Playdough Nature Walk
- 10 Ways to Add Fun to Your Nature Walk
- How to Go on a Nature Walk with Preschoolers
Printable Scavenger Hunts
- The Poky Little Puppy Scavenger Hunt
- Rock Hunt
- Nature Hunt
- Hike Observations
- Woodland Scavenger Hunt
- Botany Scavenger Hunt
- Backyard Bingo
- Park Scavenger Hunt
- Pond Walk Scavenger Hunt
- Eye-Spy in the Woods
- 5 Senses Nature Walk
- Illustrated Nature Hunt
- Pirate Treasure Scavenger Hunt
- Nature Treasure Hunting Pack
- Case Files for Nature Detectives
- I Spy Wild Animal Clues
- Seasons Scavenger Hunts
- Spring Scavenger Hunt
- Autumn Nature Walks
- Winter Nature Hike
- Holiday Nature Walks
You can find more nature printables on my Nature Notebook Master List.
Books for Exploring Nature
- The Nature Connection: An Outdoor Workbook
- Fun with Nature Take-Along Guide
- Kids’ Outdoor Adventure Book
- A Walk in the Woods Coloring Book
- Backyard Nature Coloring Book
- I Love Dirt! 52 Activities to Help You & Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
Have you grabbed your Holiday Nature Walks yet?
Hang Out with Us
- See the entire 31 Days of Exploring Nature series
- 26 bloggers x 31 days = 800+ tips for YOU!
- Join our new Facebook group Homeschooling Tips for Moms
- All your favorite tips are in one spot on Pinterest
Follow Amy T @ Are We There Yet?’s board Homeschool – Nature on Pinterest.
Leave a Reply